Did you know there are 269 billion emails sent per day? And the average office worker receives 129 emails per day, in addition to an average of 117 personal emails per day (CampaignMonitor). That's a lot of clutter that you have to cut through to get your emails in front of your consumer.
It may seem impossible to capture the attention of your consumer in the seconds that they are assessing your email to see if it’s worthy of opening, clicking, reading, and taking action. You may even hear people say that email marketing is a thing of the past. That isn’t the case. The days of email marketing where you blast one single message to your entire database is obsolete. However, email marketing that is a focused and personalized communication is what can dramatically influence your email efforts.
We're going to share with you a client success story about how the Seventh Sense and HubSpot integration allows you to use send-time optimization and artificial intelligence to optimize your emails. With this unique technology, emails can be sent at the best day of the week and time of the day to connect with each of your individual subscribers.
About Revulytics: Revulytics gives software development organizations the most advanced analytics for data-driven product development and license compliance programs.
What Was Revulytics Looking to Optimize with Email Marketing?
Global Marketing: Revulytics sought a solution to connect with their global audience. With a significant number of European customers, the traditional batch (one-time) email was not effective. It didn’t take into account the data on an individual regarding when they engage with email. For example, while sending one email at 4PM to a U.S. subscriber might seem like an optimal time, that same email could be sent to a French subscriber in the middle of the night.
Personalized Communications: Marketing has changed. It is no longer about "one-to-many" communications, but has moved to connecting on a "one-to-one" basis with your subscribers. Think about when you typically engage with an email and when your colleague engages with an email. You may be an early riser who reads emails at 5AM, while your colleague may engage with emails at 11PM. Sending an email to these two individuals at a time you know they will be most engaged helps to ensure they not only open the email, but also take the desired action.
Re-engage Contacts: Since email is such a critical component to Revulytics’ strategy, they wanted to ensure they could re-engage dormant contacts in their database. Since it costs money, time, and resources to acquire a subscriber, they needed to continue to stay connected by email. The only way to do this is to optimize the content being sent at the best day and time for that person.
Improve Deliverability: With the large number of contacts in their database, sending a batch email could be detrimental to their email reputation by sending so many emails at one time. Seventh Sense allows us to throttle email sends, increasing deliverability, and spreading load on their internal systems and sales team. By doing this, we are able to increase their email sender reputation with email providers improving overall deliverability. Learn more about deliverability.
For these reasons, Revulytics, in collaboration with Prism Global Marketing Solutions, decided to utilize the Seventh Sense and HubSpot integration to help with these areas of opportunity.
How Does Seventh Sense Work?
Seventh Sense analyzes historical email data, builds a profile on each subscriber, and empowers marketers to automatically send campaigns at personally optimized times. The algorithms are weighted toward sending at a time when each subscriber is most likely to click on a call-to-action within an email.
For each mailing, Seventh Sense uses the following methods of email delivery:
1. Send Time Personalization: Seventh Sense personalizes the send time for contacts with historical data. For contacts with a history of receiving, opening, and engaging in email, the system analyzes that data and picks the most optimal delivery time for each individual.
2. Send Time Randomization: If someone has never engaged with your email, the system will randomly pick a delivery time and also weight the randomized times based on the overall engagement of your entire audience, which provides another advantage in getting these people to engage for their first time.
For example, if your scheduled email delivery window is from midnight on Tuesday to midnight on Wednesday and you have 100 people that have never engaged with you, the system will weight how many people are scheduled per hour based on the overall engagement patterns of your entire audience. So if 3% of your overall audience tends to engage at 6am, only 3 people who are having their delivery time randomized would be scheduled during the 6am time window.
What Were the Results? 🎉
Utilizing the power of marketing automation, artificial intelligence, and analytics through Seventh Sense and HubSpot, Revulytics achieved the following email marketing results.
Overall Performance of Email Marketing:
Personalizing not only the content of emails, but also the day and time that emails are sent to contacts, had a tremendous impact on email marketing performance overall including:
- 44.3% increase in email opens
- 61.6% increase in email clicks
- 4.5% increase in click-through-rate
See below from HubSpot showing these results.
Performance of Emails Sent Through Seventh Sense vs. Emails Sent as a Batch:
- 45% increase in monthly unique opens
- 200% increase in monthly unique clicks
What does this mean? A significantly higher percentage of individuals opened and clicked the emails sent through Seventh Sense compared to the batch, or one-time send, emails.
Increased Landing Page Conversions, Re-engaged Contacts & New Contacts from Email:
By increasing email open and click rates and overall engagement, Revulytics was able to:
- 36% increase in their landing page sessions from email marketing
- 128% increase in new contacts from email marketing
- 15% increase in the re-engagement of their database of individuals who were dormant for at least 90 days prior to re-engaging in their email marketing efforts
Blog Engagement Increase with Email Marketing:
Did you know that a primary source of blog engagement is through emails to your subscribers letting them know about new blog articles? To increase subscription and readership, we first moved the blog subscription form from the bottom of their pages to the top of the pages above the content to get more contacts to opt-in to their new blogs.
By doing this, you can see there was an immediate impact in new subscribers coming in each month. You can see this as a result of the change in July 2019 in the chart below.
When we started sending the blog notification emails and monthly digest emails by persona types with unique content via Seventh Sense, we saw a positive impact in blog engagement and traffic:
- 10.8% increase in blog views
- 38.4% increase in AMP views
What was the net new customer impact?
- If we just look at new contacts from email marketing who then converted into customers, there was a 133% increase in new customer acquisition exclusively from email efforts.
- Simply evaluating the blog amplification emails and monthly digest emails sent to unique personas at a specific day and time using Seventh Sense, those monthly emails drove $252,190 in net new revenue for the year.
- Out of all of their new customers in 2019, 86% of them engaged with an email prior to becoming a customer.
- In addition, it took an average of 9 emails to be opened and 6 emails to be clicked prior to converting to a customer.
You can read additional testimonials from the Revulytics team on the HubSpot Partner Directory.
Utilizing Seventh Sense has allowed Revulytics to engage with email contacts in a more meaningful and personalized way which is driving clear results and engagement with their marketing and sales efforts. As you can see, email marketing touches every aspect of your marketing efforts. It impacts not only your email engagement, but your landing page conversion, blog engagement, new customer engagement, and more.
Are you looking to see how you can optimize your email marketing efforts? Click here to learn more about our email optimization program and schedule a complimentary consultation.